Sunday 12 October 2008

Sadness

I came to the sad realization today that what I'm writing is not what people want to read. Heroes nowadays are dark and morally ambiguous with a clear goal and a lot of ammunition; not a short, somewhat reclusive (and not in an angsty, mysterious way) teenager who kills things and then goes home to a house full of misfits.

People want to read about (or watch) dystopian futures with robots and a cruel (or non-existent) legal system; not a fantastic, slightly steam-punk place where the world is flat and people ride birds.

No, as things stand my stories will attract only the younger teens/nerds of the future. I'll likely end up like whoever wrote Eragon (though, I think that my story is better) with maybe a movie that doesn't follow the story and a small following of kids who like dragons.

So far I've been very conservative, trying to stay very realistic in my writing. Maybe that's the wrong route. Maybe I should add more fantastic elements. Maybe a greater divide between the peoples living in LeRoth. Work in things like crystal caverns or forgotten valleys. I've tried very hard not to have a gimmick; a single, attractive element on which the whole story rotates.

Maybe I'll think it over.

No comments: