Saturday 11 April 2009

The Origins of Crow

I remember quite distinctly when I first came up with the idea for Essilfye (Crow). It was some years ago while I was spending the summer with my grandparents in Laverne Tennessee. We were walking into the Church Auditorium when I looked at the wooden patter on one of the pews. The Pew was the second one from the middle divide on the right, and for some reason it gave me an idea. I suddenly remembered the scene from the beginning of FullMetal Alchemist where Edward pulls a spear from the ground using alchemy. That almost instantly became an idea of someone making a similar motion while vines and plants reached up out of the ground and twisted into a spear with a large red sphere at the base of the blade. This sphere (3'' in diameter) was my idea of the Philosopher's Stone. I noted this scene in my head.
Later that week, we were in the car going to my Uncle and Aunt in Crossville (I was to spend the night there and then my Father would come and pick me up) and I pulled out my laptop to play Jedi Academy. After starting a game, I quickly paused it and shut my laptop as I began to feel sick. Deciding to give my eyes a rest, I leaned on my right arm and shut my eyes. I do not remember my exact train of thought, but at some point it went back to that scene I had thought of in the Church. Expanding on this, I slowly came up with a story. The idea was that in the southern reaches of Lantia (by now I had given a name to my country and it more closely resembled what it is today) There was a town where (according to an old legend) the Philosopher's Stone was hidden. For years the town had been plagued with travelers coming by and causing trouble in their search for the precious item. The Philosopher's Stone, however, was not in the town. Years ago it had been found and kept a secret and eventually it found its way to our main character.
I do not remember him having a name, but He may have.

It's really late, I'll finish tomorrow

No comments: